Remission is Possible
Autoimmune disease occurs when the body's immune system attacks healthy cells by mistake. Unfortunately most of the patients that come into our office have some sort of autoimmunity, and a lot of times they don't even know it! This autoimmunity can affect many parts of the body, that is why there are over 80 different types of autoimmune diseases being diagnosed by doctors today. And over 80 million Americans suffer with autoimmune disease!
Some of the most common types include the following:
• Rheumatoid arthritis
• Celiac disease/Crohn's/Ulcerative colitis
• Multiple sclerosis
• Myasthenia gravis
• Many more...
When patients come to our office with an autoimmune disease, it is our job to figure out why you have it. What is causing your immune system to attack healthy cells in your body? Here are some important facts regarding autoimmunity and what we can do about it.
• Autoimmune disease does not just randomly happen. Recent scientific research has shown that there are known underlying causes and triggers. Once you identify and remove these triggers, the autoimmune disease will go into remission. These causes and triggers are different for everyone, there is no cookie cutter approach to figuring out autoimmunity.
• Traditional medicine does not address the underlying causes to autoimmune disease, rather they use pharmaceutical drugs to mask the symptoms you are having. You are given an immunosuppressive medication to decrease your immune system activity, but unfortunately these come with a list of serious side effects.
• The causes for autoimmune disease vary from person to person, therefore treatment is very individualized. Unfortunately what works for one persons autoimmunity may not work for someone else's. The key is to do proper testing and to identify each persons triggers.
• Patients are often diagnosed with more than one autoimmune disease. That is because when the immune system is overactive and mistakenly attacking one part of the body, after time it will eventually start to attack another tissue. This is why it is so important to properly treat right away.
• Research shows that it takes roughly 12 years for our immune system to be attacking our body until the symptoms appear and we get a diagnosis. This is why early detection of causes and triggers and proper treatment is imperative!
• The prevalence of autoimmunity has skyrocketed in the past decade! The reason for this is because our immune system is working harder than ever. There are over 80,000 environmental toxins that have not been tested or approved by the FDA. And the foods we are eating have changed dramatically the past 50 years. We are not able to tolerate hybridized or genetically modified foods and all of the pesticides that go along with it.
• Hippocrates, the father of medicine, said "All disease begins in the gut." Our skin and our gut are the two most important barriers that separate the outside world from our internal body. One of the main causes for autoimmunity is a compromised gut barrier, which must be fixed in ALL autoimmune diseases.
Many patients with fatigue, weight gain, chronic pain, depression, brain fog, digestive problems, etc are autoimmune and don't know it. Autoimmune disease is extremely under diagnosed!